20 easy ways to conserve water
Posted by peter88 from the Agriculture category at 24 Sep 2017 08:29:09 am.
Though estimates vary, most people use between 80 to 100 gallons of water each day. So many daily necessities require water use. By making a few changes here and there, it's possible to considerably reduce the amount of water we waste each day.
1. When hand-washing dishes, don't let the tap run. Fill up the sink and wash them that way then rinse afterward.
2. Wash clothing only when the entire machine is full.
3. Adjust sprinklers so that only the lawn and shrubbery are watered -- not the driveway or sidewalks. Or invest in a drip hose that waters the roots only and saves water.
4. Invest in rain barrels that can collect water from downspouts on the home.
5. Water in early morning and early evening to avoid evaporation from the hot sun.
6. Spread a layer of mulch in planting beds and around trees to keep roots moist.
7. Check the home indoors and outdoors for any leaks.
8. Shorten showers by a minute or two. This can save up to 150 gallons of water per person, per month.
9. A taller lawn shades roots and reduces the need to water the grass more frequently.
10. Use one glass or bowl all day for food and drink to reduce the number of items that need to be washed.
11. Use a water-efficient showerhead to reduce water consumption by 75 percent.
12. If you haven't already done so, switch all toilets to low-flow toilets.
13. Don't wash the car in the driveway. Visit a commercial car wash that uses recycled water.
14. Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth.
15. Put water-saving aerators on all faucets in the home.
16. Avoid water recreation toys that require a constant flow of water.
17. Use the water conservation cycle on a dishwasher.
18. Bathe young children together. Bathe a small child in the kitchen sink to avoid having to fill up an entire bath tub.
19. Report broken pipes or hydrants quickly.
20. Use leftover water from pet bowls to water plants instead of tossing it down the drain.
Tags: conserve water